Option 1: Computer Labs
Maple is installed in the following computer labs:
- Mathematical Sciences 317
- Mathematical Sciences 515
- Mathematical Sciences 521
- Mathematical Sciences 571
You may use any of these labs when there is not a class scheduled. Class schedules are posted beside the door to each lab. Outside of class time, these labs are open from 7:00am until 9:00pm Monday through Friday.
You will need an IT username and password to log in to these computers. If you do not have an IT account, you can register for one online at: https://itregport.ucalgary.ca/
If your account does not work in these computer labs, go to the following link and follow the instructions:
Option 2: Your Own Computer
You can run Maple from your own computer using the University Virtual Desktop. For instructions on setting up the virtual desktop for windows, click here: http://www.ucalgary.ca/it/software/virtualdesktop/wininstall
For instructions on using the virtual desktop with mac, click here: :http://www.ucalgary.ca/it/software/virtualdesktop/macinstall
For both the computer labs and the virtual desktop: DO NOT SAVE YOUR WORK TO THE DESKTOP
The Desktop and My Documents folders are deleted every time you log out. To preserve your work, save it to either a USB drive, or your webdisk. In both the computer labs and the virtual desktop, your webdisk is automatically configured as the W: drive when you log in:
Printing from your home computer using the virtual desktop
If you have a printer connected to your computer, and you are running Maple through the virtual desktop, your printer should automatically be configured.
Simply click File->Print, then select your home printer from the list of available printers.
Printing to a campus printer
The computer labs and virtual desktop have the capability to print to printers in various locations around campus. The most convenient printers are:
- The Elbow Room (Science Theatres 142)
- Math Sciences 571
In order to print to these printers, you will need to have money loaded on your campus ONEcard. Instructions for loading money onto your card can be found at: http://www.ucalgary.ca/onecard/
Instructions for printing:
- In Maple, click File->Print
- Choose the closest printer to your location (either the one that ends in MATH, or the one that ends in ST142_A), then click print.
- Go to the appropriate printer. You should see your username on the screen. Double click on your username.
- Check the box next to your document. The Document Name will likely be Java Printing.
- Click the Print button at the bottom.
- Swipe your ONEcard, and collect your printout.
Saving your assignment to print at home
Maple allows you to export your assignment as a pdf file, which you can then save to print at home later.
- From Maple, click File->Export As…
- From the Files of Type dropdown box, select PDF(.pdf)
- From the location dropdown box at the top, choose either a USB drive that you have connected to the computer, or your webdisk (the W: drive. See above).
- Type in a File name that ends in .pdf.
If you saved your file to your webdisk, you can retrieve it from any web browser by going to:
and then logging in with your IT username and password.